Saturday, March 14, 2009

Chapter 10 - "Ask Me No Questions"

"Aisha shoves her plate aside and starts to cry. 'It's all my fault. I should have been able to convince them to let Uncle out.'
...
Aisha is sobbing harder now. 'No, you're wrong. I should have convinced them. If only I'd said the right thing. If only I said more - '
No matter what we tell Aisha, she won't listen. She sobs harder and harder,her head banging against the cushioned booth."

I think that this breakdown of Aisha could be taken several ways. From one perspective, I think it seems as if the author changed her mind about Aisha's character aspects, making her less self-confident with all the recent losses of confidence and determinations she's had. But this idea could be countered with another thought, where Aisha is just acting more sensitive because of the situation with her and Nadira's parents being taken away.
Or, you could say that this is Aisha's big breakdown, making an about-face from being slightly more conceited to a more sensitive and helping character. It seems hard to tell if this is her big breakdown right now, but it will probably be easy to tell soon if it is or not. I atually wouldn't be surprised if Aisha didn't have one big loss of confidence but a slow decrease, if you look at the few small losses of determination to her spirit, which were mostly caused by Nadira. In my opinion, it kind of looks like Aisha is turning more into Nadira, and Nadira is turning more into Aisha. I just hope that this isn't actually the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment